lundi 10 décembre 2007

Fake Christmas


When you live in the southern hemisphere and you grew up in the northern one, there are plenty of good reasons to want to celebrate Christmas in June rather than in December:

As Sophie pointed out, the whole thing seems a bit ridiculous.
I find it absurd to see these Santa Claus heavily sweating under their thick red and white costumes. But Santa in togs and sunglasses is not really Santa either.

Who feels like eating stuffed turkey when it’s 28 degrees outside? Same applies to mulled wine.

It gets dark too late to see the Christmas decorations. Admittedly the reason why no one really bothers…

What is the point of buying and decorating a Christmas tree when you spend most of your time at the beach or having barbeques outside?

Personally I love Christmas. It brings me back to childhood. I love the traditions, the colours and the build up before the big day but down here despite some respectable efforts my heart just isn't into it.

In the northern hemisphere, Christmas is a nice break in the middle of a long, cold and grey winter. Here it’s summer, the long holidays and Christmas at the same time. Not much to look forward to once it’s over.

And this creepy Santa stuck every year on Queen Street withhis winking eye; moving his finger as if to say: "come to me little children". I might have a twisted mind but he just reminds me of a paedophile each time I set eyes on him…

Anyway I have started lobbying in favour of a change of date…I’ll keep you posted!

1 commentaire:

Lola a dit…

So weird, indeed. Can't imagine celebrating Christmas on the beach. Wouldn't feel real.
Is there any local celebration during winter, something to compensate the long months of rain and mud?